Free virtual CLE on Zoom, a joint program of the ADR, Criminal Law and Government Lawyer sections of The Florida Bar and the Florida Restorative Justice Association. Course number 4970. Course classification intermediate. 3.0 General CLE credits; 3.0 Appellate Practice, Criminal Appellate, Criminal Trial Law, Juvenile Law and State and Federal Government and Administrative Practice certification hours. REGISTER
1 – 1:05 PM Welcome. Scott Fingerhut, FIU College of Law and H. Scott Fingerhut, P.A., Miami, Program Co-Chair
1:05 – 1: 55 PM An Introduction to Restorative Justice. This panel will define the concept of restorative justice and explore its theory and origins. The panel will then discuss how restorative justice works — its efficacy — describing various models of applying restorative justice in the criminal justice system.
- Moderator Edith Georgi, Assistant Public Defender (ret.), Miami, University of Miami School of Law, Miami, St. Thomas University School of Law, Miami Gardens
- Panelists: Donna Coker, University of Miami School of Law, Miami; Justice Janine Geske (ret.), Marquette University Law School, Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Aparna Polavarapu, University of South Carolina School of Law, Columbia, South Carolina
1:55 – 2:05 PM Break and Breakout Room for Q&A with the Panelists
2:05 – 2:55 PM A Case Study.
- Moderator Kelly McGrath, Kelly McGrath Law, Tallahassee
- Panelists: Kate and Andy Grosmaire, Tallahassee; Julie and Michael McBride, Tallahassee
2:55 – 3:05 PM Break and Breakout Room for Q&A with the Panelists
3:05 – 3:55 PM Restorative Justice in Criminal Practice. This panel will discuss practical considerations in applying restorative justice practices to criminal cases.
- Moderator Scott Fingerhut
- Panelists: Michael Becker, Assistant State Attorney, 8th Judicial Circuit, Gainesville; Robert Burrs, Executive Director, Conflict Solutions Center of Santa Barbara County, California; Dean Galigani, Gailgani Law Firm, Gainesville; Hon. Steve Leifman, County Judge, Eleventh Judicial Circuit
3:55 – 4 PM Program Close. Scott Fingerhut